Sunday, 20 October 2013

Woman in an elevator...

I briefly scanned her the minute she walked into the elevator, this small tiny room that transports people to their destinations, for a while, she looked tacky... obviously she didn't shower this morning, her lazy hair laying on her shoulders, her broken nail polish and swollen eyelids clearly indicated she didn't have enough sleep or woke up really late to work, barely had time to brush her teeth and get dressed.

And I coudln't help but notice that lazy walk... She was basically dragging her feet while walking... Yes I know... We are all sleepy, but we come here for one reason and one reason only... to WORK! Nobody cares if she was having a bad day.. No one gives a crap that she might have cried herself to sleep last night.. nor if her job was at risk because of a small mistake no one knows who made it... We are only there to "work" and be "machines" that are incapable of sympathy and understanding.


I felt the need to give the woman a break... in fact I felt bad for both of us.. Maybe her day was crappier than mine... maybe her 2 years old boy needs a nanny and she cannot afford one... (Yes, clearly she is a mom... no single lady would leave the house like this)... You might think: well if she can't afford one maybe she should stay at home! raise her own child... BUT.. Oh yeah... don't forgot... Money... we can't live without it these days can we? Rents are too high... expenses are ridiculous, family back home is depending on her probably...


Apologies to the random stranger lady in the elevator... we are not all understanding and compassionate. To a lot of people she's just a not very attractive working mom who probably lives in a cheap apartment somewhere in the city and wakes up early every morning to catch the bus to work. But to me... I saw a prisoner... trapped behind life's very tough bars that no one can escape nor defy, keeping her from reaching reaching her potentials and achieving her dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment